The Pastoral Team
At Westacre Middle School we recognise that the social and mental well-being of our pupils is an essential part of a successful education and the preparation for later life. We understand that all of our pupils react and adapt differently to factors that affect their learning and development. The pastoral team along with other members of staff are able to offer extra support to our pupils when needed.
What are our aims?
To ensure our pupils feel happy, supported and cared for in order to achieve their best in the classroom.
Below are some examples of the support we offer:
· Small group and individual interventions that help pupils to improve their self-esteem, manage emotions and support social and friendship skills.
· Providing class yoga lessons once a week to promote mindfulness and positivity.
· Provide weekly cooking lessons in order to learn key skills and the importance of healthy eating.
· Meet and greet some pupils who feel anxious about coming to school.
· Tea & Toast in the mornings to help some students acquire that calm and focused attitude before lessons.
· Offer “catch ups” to those pupils who benefit from the opportunity to talk about how they are feeling.
· Work alongside class teachers, parents/carers and outside agencies to ensure pupils feel supported and safe.
· Run a break and lunch time club.
Who are the Pastoral team?
· Mrs Julie Darby (pastoral lead)
· Miss Leah Starkey (qualified yoga teacher)
· Miss Lauren Colledge (L3 specialist support)