Welcome to the Year 6 page!
Welcome to Year 6 - the team are really looking forward to working with you this year!
So who's who?
Mrs Murray - Year Leader and 6RM
Mrs Langston - 6KL
Miss Boulton - 6BB
Miss Steenson - 6CS
An invaluable part of our team are our amazing Teaching Assistants: Mrs McCollough, Mrs McPherson, Mrs Howard and Mrs Eaton.
In Year 6 we are working towards the Statutory Assessment Tests (SATs) in May, which is a culmination of your child’s learning in Literacy and Numeracy throughout Key Stage 2. Throughout the year we will keep you informed, in various ways, about what's expected of your children with regard to the SATs and how best to support them.
This term our topic is ‘Heroes and Villains’ and we have a host of great activities planned…there’s definitely something for everyone!
In History we will be studying the Ancient Greeks and we kicked off the unit by demonstrating the concept of time and timelines using toilet roll - luckily, it didn't get messy and you can see some pictures of the activity on our ear group page.
We are planning a Greek Day on Tuesday 19th September; children are invited to dress up and we will be learning about various aspects of Greek life.
There are a number of opportunities for you to come into school this term and we very much look forward to seeing you.
Toilet roll Timeline
Year 6 went down to the hall together to complete our toilet roll timeline activity. We ordered key historical periods of time from Present Day all the way back to The Ancient Mayans (studied in Year 5)
We revisited various key terms: decade, century, millennium, period, era, BC and AD.
One sheet of toilet roll represented a decade and we discussed that it also represented the amount of time that the children had been alive! We then demonstrated the relative sizes of a century and, eventually, a millennium. The toilet roll had every century marked on it and, as we unrolled it, the children placed key historical periods on it.
The activity gave the children a great sense of exactly how long ago the Ancient Greeks (the focus of our topic) lived, which will be great as we start our studies.
Did you notice a flurry of Greek Gods and Goddesses whirling around Westacre last week? It was Greek Day and lots of us dressed up to celebrate our current Year 6 topic. We all had a fantastic day, full of great experiences and lots of fun.
Our day involved:
Here are some photo's from our day:
This morning we had a great safety talk from Jen our local PCSO.
Times table practise
This afternoon we have been spending some time practising our times tables in our classes. Pupils have been learning some top tips that they can use at home to learn their times tables.
For more times table practise ideas please look at our maths page.
We have had a great afternoon running our cross country competition. The top 10 boys and girls are off to district next week and we know they will do a great job.
Roll of honour - Thursday 30th November
* Barney Simpson, Tom Allen, Oliver Beavan, Ellie Harris for their efforts in cross country this week
* Eliza Cox for always being kind and helping others in RWI
* Noah Withington for his plank in Yoga
* Kaycee Bradley for her efforts in SPAG learning the past and present progressive
* Miss Steenson's RWI group for improvement on learning their spellings
* Tamzin Rudge, Molly Parry and Barney for getting their game to work in Beebem
* Isaac Stacey for his contributions to Guided Reading.
* Rhyanna Fallon for her great reasoning in maths today.
* Sam C, Billy, Hannah, Grace, Amelia, Izzy, Bea, Sophie & Zoe for their enthusiasm in being part of the Christmas show.
* The children who have 100% attendance in 6BB since the start of term (stand up - you know who you are).
* ALL the children in 6BB who volunteered to take part in the Christmas show, in one way or another.
* Connor Priddey for just getting on with his work in literacy and guided reading with no fussing.
* Billy, Zuzanna, Amelia, Bea, and Calum for reading at least 3/4 times, every week AND having it signed, since the beginning of year 6.
* Connie Hall for always working really hard in her maths lessons.
* Calum Stock for his amazing drawing of Paddington Bear as part of his topic homework.
* Hayden Pimley and Kiren for completing 6 AR quizzes this week!
* Kiren, Dillon Richardson and Sky Styles for their motivation in Fitness this week.
* All of 6KL for their sheer determination and resilience when using BeeBem in ICT.
* Sian Bye for her excellent efforts in Yoga - picked by Miss Starkey.
* Laurie Holder, Liam Pardoe and Will Rushton for their efforts as Sports Leaders in Football for 6KL and 6RM!
* Sasha Fenton and Ella Blakemore for their peer-teaching of coordinates in maths.
* All of Mrs Langston's Maths Group for their continued hard work and good attitude to every maths lesson.
* Every member of 6RM who put themselves forward to take part in the Christmas production – it’ll be a great experience!
* Ethan Read for being an even bigger superstar than usual in Maths
* Leo for working really hard at worded problems and working them out step-by-step
* Sophie Pegg for her delicious Greek doughnuts – I’m afraid we ate them all before we got a chance to take a photograph!
* Sasha Hart for sharing a sample of her flapjack superhero bars – they were delicious!
* Shannon Pedlow, Sophie Pegg, Mali Hill, Sasha Hart, Sonny Priestley, Jack Osbaldiston and James Wakefield for your amazing energy levels during our Joe Wicks workout!
* Jack Osbaldiston for producing a beautifully controlled piece of writing which showed off his skills perfectly!
Primary maths challenge
Some of our year 6 pupils have taken part in this years primary maths challenge. They have worked hard applying their knowledge to solve different complex problems.
What an incredible week we've had completing a range of survival activities in the sunshine over the last few days! Our Year 6's were mixed into groups and had the opportunity to work with pupils they might not have had the opportunity to do so before whilst trying something new and exciting.
This week we've:
Have a look at our photo's below to see us in action!
What an amazing year it's been...
My team and I have absolutely loved spending the year with this wonderful Year 6! We have shared lots of fun and lots of success - I know the teachers have been left with many happy memories of the year, and I hope that the same can be said for the children.
We wish each and every child the very best in Year 7 and beyond...their new teachers are very lucky to get to work with them!
Farewell Year 6 - you have been a joy!
Mrs Murray and the entire Year 6 team