Centre of Excellence
Click the link below to find out more about Westacre being designated as a Centre of Excellence for Computing and ICT:
In recognition of our recent ICT Mark award, we invited MP Nigel Huddleston into school. On Friday 7th October he took us up on our offer and joined us for the morning. Year 7 prefects Freya and Luke showed Mr Huddleston around school and told him about the ways we use technology across the curriculum. They also talked to him about their roles within the Cyber Council over the last year and introduced him to other staff and pupils, who explained how they were using our school iPads, computers and ICT suites. At the end of the visit, Mr Huddleston commented on how impressed he was with our ICT provision and the enthusiasm with which teachers and children use technology around school.
ICT Mark Award!
Children at Westacre Middle School are at the forefront of using technology to enhance their work, and that’s official!
Following an extensive external assessment we have been awarded the prestigious ICT Mark.
The award recognises the school’s success in developing the strategic use of technology in both administration and across the curriculum. We are delighted to be awarded the ICT Mark. It recognises our positive approach to the use of technology and the benefits it is bringing to our children. We believe that technology can be used in every aspect of learning and that it is essential our children are equipped for the modern world.
In particular, the report praised us for the following:
· A considerable network that includes two Computing suites, iPads and well-resourced classrooms
· The high profile our digital leaders Cyber Council have around school
· Children do more homework as a result of being able to log in at home
· Our school website and Twitter account communicate well with parents
· Much financial investment in hardware and software has been made recently
· A clear strategy for continuing to offer such high-quality provision
· Exceptional subject leadership
· Significant support from headteacher and governors to develop ICT further
· Strong support and training for staff in using technology across the curriculum
· Excellent partnerships and collaborative relationships with local first schools
All the children and staff of our school deserve much credit for this achievement.
Here is a quote from local MP Nigel Huddleston:
“Congratulations to all at Westacre Middle School for being awarded the National ICT Mark. This is recognition of both the school’s excellent ICT provisions and of the hard work of their staff, teachers and pupils. It is important that young people have a solid grasp of modern technology from an early age, and there is no better way to develop this than being in an environment where technology is at the heart of everything, as it is at Westacre. As we look to the future, ICT skills are going to become more and more important and the grounding that Westacre provides will make sure its pupils go on to be ahead of the game.”
This is what Councillor Richard Morris had to say:
“Wychavon Council is determined that all local children will have the best opportunity to excel in the jobs market of the future. Westacre Middle School should be congratulated on this wonderful achievement. This demonstrates the excellent ICT management and teaching that is taking place in local schools. As a past pupil of Westacre myself, I am very proud that the school is doing so well”